Friday, September 19, 2008

The Hardest Job in the World

I am pissed.

In the past 2 days I've been questioned why I put down "Mother" as my occupation. Once in the bank while opening a new account, the other in Pilar's Kumon trial class.

And why the hell can't I put "Mother" as my occupation? It is what I do for a living. It is the hardest job I've ever had.

You're on call 24x7.

You don't get paid.

No one ever gives you feedback on your performance.

And you have the most demanding boss in the world.

It's also the best job I've had in a really long time.

I love my boss.

It's fulfilling.

And the goal/target (though still far away and a constant work in progress), is the most significant thing I'll ever do in my life: create a human being that will hopefully make the world a better place.

Whether she becomes a doctor, a teacher, a rocket scientist, a ballerina, or the girl who plays Ariel in Disneyland (which is what she says she wants to be when she grows up: a Disney mermaid or princess) hopefully we'll raise her right so that she will want to be the BEST doctor/teacher/rocket scientist/ballerina/mermaid that she can possibly be. 

Do you know how hard it is (will be) to raise someone who will
- treat everyone kindly, fairly and with respect
- cherish and honor family
- be a good friend
- believe in God
- be a good person

Those are my KRAs (Key Result Areas).

And hopefully one day, preferably before I'm dead so I can hear it, Pilar will say: Good job, Mother.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

No comments: