Thursday, September 18, 2008

My Bookshelf

I love to read. I always have. I have a Shelfari account which has a listing of about 150+ books that I've read but that's a gross understatement. Kind of like saying alcoholics saying they like to drink "sometimes". Or Michael Phelps saying he's won a "few" medals. I'm just too lazy to populate the damn thing.

John was feeling like a handy man over the weekend and installed some new "floating" shelves in the room to give me more space for my books which have threatened to take over the place. Mind you, these are just the books that I am in the process of reading or are planning to read. The ones that I've read have already take over our 3rd floor loft.

The cleared up space on my existing bookshelf gave me a chance to exercise my dormant obsessive compulsive tendencies and gave me space to put away my "office supplies" bag, find a place for her majesty's reading materials, a place for our Wii paraphernalia, and a hiding place for books I've bought but have no intention of reading.


Here are my new shelves. Good job honey.



Friends are always asking me for book recommendations. I'm proud to say I very rarely recommend lemons. Except for Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell which I asked people to read because misery loves company. 

These are the ones I'm reading right now (yes, I read more than 1 book at the time --- it gets confusing with the plot lines sometimes but I manage):



1) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the NIght-TIme (I read Mark Haddon's A Spot of Bother and really liked it so I decided to try this one out). 

2) The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion (I've read this before but I enjoy revisiting the tragedy in light of Ines). 

3) For One More Day by Mitch Albom (feeling sappy).

4) Incubus Dreams by Laurell Hamilton (trying out the whole "sexy" vampire thingie). 

5) The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (like I said.....sappy...). 

6) Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber by Adele Lang. 

7) The Tribes of Palos Verdes by Joy Nicholson (no its not what you think it is --- it's about a teenage girl growing up in California). 

8) Summerland by Michael Chabon (I really liked Kavalier and Clay). 

9) Getting Near to Baby (a children's book that deals with death in the family --- may be I'll let Pilar read it when she's older).

10) The Princess Bride (the abridged version by William Goldman.....my name is Inigo Montoya....you killed my father...prepare to die). 

11) Frost on My Moustache by Tim Moore (ever since I read Geography of Bliss and Eat, Pray, Love I've gotten hooked on these first-person adventure thingies..... they let me live through their adventures vicariously). 

12) The Reach of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman (still trying to relive the love affair I had with Anthony Bourdain's books, plus with me learning how to cook...).

Then there are the other things I'm also currently reading. Like magazines (Oprah, Martha, Macworld), graphic novels (Fables, Watchmen, Miss Finch), manuals (Office Mac, Brother MFC685w, cookbooks, and raising children stuff.

Where does she find the time to read (you might wonder)? Well, love always finds a way.



No comments: